Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Psycho Film Oral and Assessment



Self-Evaluation

I think I deserve a 16-20 on my piece. My actual grade would probably be around a 16 or 17. I think I spoke clearly and loud but there were many flaws in the piece such as awkward silences and stuttering and the many uses of "umm.." and "uh..." to be honest. When I was speaking I think I hit all the points I wanted to but I felt rushed at times because I knew there were specific topics I absolutely had to talk about. I think my analysis of my extract was fairly detailed. I went into some insight about what actually happens in the scene and why, in my opinion, it was chosen to be incorporated in the film. I think I talked about some topics better than others and these lesser ones were more vague and didn't sound as professional. I went into detail about the historical part of the film as well and through this I hit on some of the sociocultural points in my notes. This was a great experience and I learned a lot from it.

Kim's Evaluation

I definitely think Kim's piece deserved a 21-25 on the higher end of the rubric. It was presented really really well and it was very coherent and easy to understand  She hit on all the points she needed to and I actually learned a lot from it. I liked how she knew what she was saying and she sounded very insightful in this response. It had excellent analysis from when Marion in the film purchases her car to the time when she "stumbles on the Bates motel". She explores the casting and how Hitchcock wanted to include blondes as sympathetic and pure characters in his films. She talks about symbols such as the highway in her oral and the importance of characterization and once again she is very intelligent about the small details in her piece. She talks about the lighting in the scene and how it can be symbolic of Marion's character as well. She talk about the individual shots in the scene and also the musical scores and sound effects with a ton of insight about them. Overall, her analysis was excellent and I hope to be able to speak like her when it comes time for my oral Senior year.


1 comment:

  1. Nice work. Good identification of extract and it's context in the larger narrative. Background on Hitchcock is a little limited. Not sure what impact this film had on the industry and other films that came after it.The visual style is not just a description of the room but rather should focus on production elements that are central to creating meaning in the extract. Cinematography, edit, production design etc.. You do focus on the acting and action in the scene. Once you get into cinematography and lighting, the use of film language improves. A great start!

    ReplyDelete